#paigeinreallife

Where do I even begin?! I could list you off all the excuses I have for not posting on here... but I won't bore you with all that. Let me just say that things have gotten extra crazy for this tired teacher but I've come to a BIG realization.. 


#gametime

Raise your hand if you spend too many hours in your classroom before and after school? 

Raise your hand if you spend wayyyyy too much time on social media browsing everyones AMAZING IDEAS!? 

Raise your hand if you instantly think "ohhhh I NEED this in my classroom" when you see someones post about Target purchases, TPT products, Rae Dunn mugs?!

Raise your hand if you run to every Target/Michaels/Home Goods etc. in town until you find said items that you stalked on social media?! 

Raise your hand if you go buy said things ^^^ and then NEVER find the time to implement them in your real life classroom?! 

Well friends, ME TOO!!!!!!!

#realtalk


I've spent the last few months working on myself from the inside --> out. I've been working towards not impulsively purchasing things because _______ has it, or because _______ posted about it, and actually trying to figure out what MY students need and WHY they need it. 

Y'all its been hard. Like really hard... 
Yes, I want all those Rae Dunn products, yes, I've spent hours going to 3 different Home Goods to still have no luck... BUT guess what, I DON'T EVEN DRINK COFFEE!!!! I wanted the mugs and other things simply because many amazing teachers that I adore on Instagram posts about them, and I want to be just like them. 

Yes, I want all those rainbow task card organizers boxes that everyone finds at Michaels on sale... I finally found them, bought them, and guess what?!! They're sitting in my classroom closet because I just haven't had time to laminate the perfect TPT product I bought, cut it all out, and organize it. #reallife I wanted those organizers because many amazing teachers that I adore on Instagram posts about them, and I want to be just like them. 

Are you catching my drift here? I've spent so much time comparing myself and wanting to be like other teachers that I see on social media that I've lost the teacher that I wanted to be. I want to be the teacher that my kids learn from. The one that supports them daily in learning and life skills. I want them to know they're loved. If they learn anything all year long, I want it to be that they now know how to WORK HARD AND BE KIND. 


#challengeaccepted

This year is only my 4th year teaching, and Ive taken on a very big challenge... this year I started the National Boards Certified Teacher process. People think I am crazy and that I need more experience before pursuing this. Ive gotten plenty of looks at PDs when they ask how young I am, years I've been teaching and more.. my answer is always that "I am always willing to learn and grow as a teacher". I feel that this is the best way for ME to grow as a teacher and learner and, by golly I am going to do it and [hopefully] pass! 

 So far this process is challenging, in an amazing way! I've had to reflect, and reflect, and reflect some more about ME and MY teaching. What am I doing that works, what doesn't work, how can I change this/that? Well first thing I found that wasn't working... that I was comparing myself to others. I would then beat myself up for days over how insert [strategy/tpt product/lesson plan] worked so well for ______ or looked so amazing on _______'s Instagram and/or blog, but didn't work with my kids in my classroom. 

Well, friends its plain and simple... I am not them. I am ME in MY classroom with 21 second graders who are absolutely hilarious, smart, thoughtful, and hardworking. This NBCT process has opened my eyes for the better and I am so thankful! 


#comparisonisthethiefofjoy

Moral of my babble is that I needed to stop comparing myself to others. [Most] people only post the good stuff on social media, no one wants you to see their messy guided reading table, stacks of ungraded papers that you throw in the recycling bin, or their closet full of crap they bought and never implemented. 

Give yourself a break!!! Stop comparing yourself to people on social media, or that "perfect" teacher down the hall. Do whats best for you and your students. Thats it. End of story. #youareenough You are an amazing teacher, you make a difference daily in students lives for the better, and you are doing a great job!

#reallifeupdate

If you did read all the way to the end of this post, bless your heart, thank you! I hope my words can help you in some way. Heres what Ive been up to the past few months! 

We bought our first house!  
Soon to be Mrs. Barber!  
My first Disney Wine and Dine Half-Marathon! 













No comments

Powered by Blogger.