Reading Centers that Work!

Are you looking for new ideas for the last few weeks of school? Already thinking ahead for next year? 

I have lots of ideas, successes, failures, and things I'd love to share with you all! 

A little background to preface this post.. 

This is only my 3rd year teaching, I have changed how I do my reading workshop block each year trying to find what works for my kid. I also have been lucky enough to have 2 Donors Choose projects funded that provided me with LOTS of the materials I will talk about in this post. I may be bias but Lakeshore Learning is THE BEST!

Getting Started

Our literacy block is smack dab in-between special area and lunch time, so I have roughly an hour and 10 minutes to see my guided reading groups, my intervention group, and have students at centers. 
I have 20 students this year, and it has worked really nicely to have buddies at each center. Center options are: 
- word work 
- phonics
- big books 
- listen to reading (computers)
- work on writing
- read to self (x2)
- read to someone
- poetry
- listen to reading (iPads) 

I have 10 different centers and students will be at their center for the entire reading block. I know, you think I am crazy.... that is a LONG time to be at one place... You're kids have got to be bored...
Let me tell you why this has worked for ME.. 
1. No transition time is wasted
2. Students are able to start and complete work within the time frame
3. Disruptions are very minimal versus when I used rotations

Now within the hour + students are being pulled for a variety of groups. I meet with three guided reading groups M/W/F and 4 groups on T/TH at my table. I am also blessed to work in a school where within our literacy block we have 3 on hand interventionists who are pulling and meeting with various students. With that said, students who are coming and going don't have to figure out what center to go to next, they aren't missing a rotation at any center, and they can come and go QUIETLY without disruptions. 

Now to the fun stuff! Here is a break down of what each of my centers look like, and how they work. 

DISCLAIMER- I took these photos recently, so some things are "loved on" and not in the best condition with 20 odd days and counting until the end of the year! 

Word Work

Word Work Center labels found here

Work work is a student favorite because there are so many choices! Students can choose from various activities including word tiles, magnetic letters, play doh, puzzles, rainbow write, write the room, word eggs, and more! 

Magnetic Letters


Word Eggs
Letter Tiles from Lakeshore 

Students are instructed to practice their phonics chunk and or their spelling words within each of these drawers within the word work center. 







Play Doh 
Puzzles from the Dollar Spot at Target


Phonics



 My phonics center is housed within two bins that I keep in cubbies. These bins have a variety of games that I switch out about every 2-3 weeks.
                      
                          Compound word match up

                      
                          long vowels and digraphs 

Students work with their buddy to correctly sort the games for phonics. We use these magnetic boards to help them sort.



Big Books



The big book center is exactly what it sounds like. Students choose a big book to read either with their buddy or alone. They can read lots of different stories and also have the option to choose a "reading response sheet" and reflect on their reading. 

Listening to Reading (Computers)


We are lucky to have 4 computers in our room and these students are on a variety of sites that allow listening to reading. Some of my favorites are Tumble Books and Book Flix. 

Work on Writing

Our writing center is just like every other and has lots of options! 

I have 3 drawers filled with different types of paper; lined paper, plain paper, and construction paper. Students are allowed to choose whatever they'd like. On top of our drawers are a variety of writing prompts on binder rings. Additionally, students can pick a writing prompt from the Writing Activity Pockets. 
The hanging files are for housing student work. I have 21 files numbered within the crate. After students create something at the writing center they have 2 choices. 
1. They can put the writing in their cubby to take home
2.  put it in their file for me to look at
The writing pieces that live in the hanging file are great to show progress throughout the year, reflect on what we need to work on, use for goal setting, etc. I meet with my students at various points in the year to choose pieces that they are proud of and what they want to send to 3rd grade or keep and send home once I have seen it. 


These Activity Pockets are THE BEST! They have a variety of prompts, vocabulary on the back, and 3 levels on each pocket to fit the differentiation needs for students. They are also from Lakeshore! 


 Read to Self and Read to Someone

 My students keep books of their choosing in their numbered book box. They also all have a green folder in their box that allows them to keep a reading log, and a few copies of reading response papers for when they need. While at read to self, I require students to complete a reading response paper. For example, students could complete a paper to showcase their knowledge of beginning, middle, and end. They could also choose to use a response paper for main idea, etc. Additionally, students are allowed to take their book box and sit wherever they'd like during these two centers. I also have a rule that students are allowed to choose 3 books of their choosing, plus 3 books that are "just right books" from their appropriate reading level from my library. My class library is separated into two sections; one with genre and another with level (A-P). Each student knows their current reading level. 


Poetry

 Poetry is another favorite center! And let me tell you I LOVE poetry too. We use Just a Primary Girls Poetry Bundle. Students have to unscramble and sort whichever poem they choose, read it at a whisper or with a buddy. Students also then have a few choices, they can;
- circle the rhyming words with their dry erase markers
- copy the poem into their reading notebook
- scramble and complete again
- clean up and grab a new poem.
There are roughly 20+ poems to choose from so there is plenty of choice.







Listen to Reading (iPods/iPads)

My final center is listening to reading which involves both iPods and iPads. We have 4 shuffle iPods and 2 iPads that are used within literacy workshop. Our shuffle iPods have about 20+ stories that I took the CDs from and added them to the ipods. Students are to grab an iPod, and matching book, and listen to the story. 
Also, on iPads students are allowed to choose from a certain group of apps for our workshop time. My love for these apps will have to be shared in another post :) Below are just a few that we love! 
Literably 
Brain Pop Jr. 
Story Creator
Word Sort
Read to Me


WOW! If you made it through this entire post- THANK YOU! I hope you enjoyed learning about my classroom. I would love to hear some of your ideas on how you run your classroom literacy block. 


Check back soon to see how I run my guided reading groups and for my favorite reading apps!







3 comments

  1. I love your ideas!! Thanks for sharing! Do the students choose where they go, or is there a set schedule of buddies and where they go each day? If they stay in the same center the whole time, does it take 2 weeks to get through the 10 centers, then they go back to center 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I choose their buddy and they work with their same buddy daily. I usually tend to put mix levels together within the pairs. Each day I just move the picture/name card up one center, so yes, it takes 2 weeks to get through all centers. I also usually try to switch out activities at the end of each month, or offer more choice so there isn't issues of boredom! I hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. It turns out that even the hottest port has a few places where you can get off the beaten path. Here are some recommendations that will make you feel like you're in the know essay代写

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.